Monday 8 September 2008

Medico-Legal Work Experience


I have just finished two weeks in my local hospital's legal services department. Although they made a concerted effort to give me relevant tasks, I did end up doing a substantial amount of admin/PA duties; not that I mind!

One of the most interesting things I got to do were attend two inquests at the Coroner's Court (both ruled 'accidental death'), but just being able to read some of the medical negligence or litigation cases going on at the hospital was worth my time there.

I realise that we live in an extremely legally savvy age, where 'Slip, Trip or Fall' firms advertise on TV in nearly every ad-break, but it is still shocking to actually realise that people do take out cases against those people who are generally working towards the greater good.

However, for its size, there were actually very few active cases, and I learnt that a lot of 'victims' abandon their claims halfway through. Although the work was very paper-based (solicitor-like in nature), I found the area of law one which definitely appeals to me.

No comments: